Set up an environment for language success by limiting distractions. Language–both signed and spoken–is acquired best in quiet, calm spaces.
- Consider turning off screens and sources of extra noise, particularly during our special together times like playing, reading, snuggling, and mealtimes.
- The TV can distract my attention from your important face, body language, gestures, signs, and spoken words.
- Background noise from music, phone notifications, battery-powered toys, and running appliances can interfere with my listening abilities.
- Family meals are a great opportunity for us to connect in deeper ways. I want to be included as much as possible in all aspects of our family life.
- We can have a lot of fun watching special shows and dancing to favorite songs. These times are wonderful for me! Be sure to carve out quiet times and spaces, too.